Saturday, June 11, 2011

NIMBY--Comstock version

I am excited for Spokane's Summer Parkways to begin, so I was surprised when I went to their website this morning and found that several folks who live in my neighborhood, where there is a ride scheduled for June 22, were quite angry about the scheduling of the event. I added the following comments in hopes that they will relax a little.

I am thrilled to live one house away from the route and surprised to see that a few neighbors are unhappy about this event. Think of those who live in Browne’s and endure days of Art Fest; our streets are never busy, and three hours of folks enjoying our lovely area and having fun certainly is worth a bit of thinking ahead. I urge you all to jump on a bike for the evening–all is well when you are on a bike!

Furthermore, I am sure that 29th will not be closed, but monitored by volunteers, so those who need to get home will be able to get there. You might have to park a block away, but it shouldn’t be much trouble. As for vendors, I welcome them as businesses who wish to support active, outdoor fun.

Finally, even if you feel put-out by this event, remember the organizers are volunteers and are working hard to find the best ways to make these events possible. As a very involved community volunteer, I know that criticism is defeating. Rather than complain, agree to volunteer for the evening or grab a lawn chair and wave as we pass your house. Make Spokane a place we all want to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment